All Americans come from Ohio originally, if only briefly. --- Dawn Powell

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Say Goodnight, Gracie

One of the most famously happy partnerships was made legally binding in Ohio. After performing together in vaudeville for three years, George Burns and Gracie Allen were married in Cleveland on January 7, 1926.


From George Burns' Gracie: A Love Story:

"We decided to get married in Cleveland at the end of January. But first we were going to break in Lamb Chops. We were both very nervous; getting married was one thing, but breaking in a new act was serious business...
As soon as Izzy and Mary arrive, we hopped into a cab and drove to the justice of the peace. The justice of the peace was ready to leave on a fishing trip when we got there, and he wasn't interesting in spending time marrying folks... He spoke so fast I didn't know if Gracie and I had gotten married or had bought land in Florida. All I remember is he asked, "Do you?" I said, "I do." He said, "Good--I'm going fishing."
Our cab was waiting for us. The entire ceremony had cost twenty cents on the meter."


No comments:

Post a Comment