All Americans come from Ohio originally, if only briefly. --- Dawn Powell

Monday, January 3, 2011

The King of Cool

While driving from Schio (my comment on its similar spelling to Ohio greatly amused my friend Ilaria) to Vicenza to catch a train to Venice, my compatriots played American music such as CCR (I think to keep me comfortable) and old Italian ballads. One song that resulted in the whole car singing was Volare, which my friend's father (with his customary good-natured wicked little smile) said that all visitors to Italy must learn. I apparently experienced a moment of amnesia and didn't mention that it was an Ohioan that made this song popular in America. Evidently the song was originally named "Nel blu dipinto di blu" ("In the blue, painted blue"), was the signature song of Domenico Modugno and is the only foreign-language song to have been awarded Record and Song of the Year Grammys. Yet, most Americans are most familiar with the version sung by the King of Cool, Dean Martin. Martin was born Dino Paul Crocetti (June 7th, 1917) in Steubenville, Ohio to Italian immigrant parents. Little Dino only spoke Italian until he went to school, which he left in the 10th grade because he thought he was smarter than the teacher. Before becoming the world renowned crooner, comedian and Rat Packer that we know, he delivered bootleg liquor, was a speakeasy croupier, blackjack dealer, steelworker and welterweight boxer. For anyone who knows anything about the history of Ohio, none of those vocations should be a surprise.

I've never given the man a fair shake though due to his associations to a couple of my least favorite entertainers (Frank Sinatra and Jerry Lewis) but have been happily surprised recently by the wry humor displayed in his popular celebrity roasts and find it oddly satisfying that 'The King of Cool' hails from my home state.

No comments:

Post a Comment