All Americans come from Ohio originally, if only briefly. --- Dawn Powell

Sunday, September 12, 2021

Why Toni Morrison Matters


Years ago, I was amazed that my Italian friend mentioned that Toni Morrison was her favourite author.  I simply didn't realise and was pleasantly surprised by the universal influence of her writings and I'm reminded of this by the Southbank Centre hosting 'Why Toni Morrison Matters' later this month. 

Toni Morrison's birthday, February 18th, is now an officially celebrated day in her home state of Ohio.  Perhaps best known for novels such as Song of Solomon and Beloved, Morrison was born and raised in Lorain, and her early novels The Bluest Eye and Sula were both set in Ohio. 

She once told an audience at Oberlin College:  'In my work, no matter where it's set, the imaginative process always starts right here on the lip of Lake Erie.'

Ten facts about the incomparable author

How Ohio shaped Morrison's fiction

No comments:

Post a Comment